[MLB-WIRELESS] 8db omni and galaxy

Roger Venning r.venning at telstra.com
Fri Jul 19 13:11:37 EST 2002

The sum of antenna gain in the omni-omni situation is 12dB less than
omni & parabolic situation. Every time you double the distance you lose
6dB of signal strength, so in this situation you could go four times
further if the second node had a parabolic than if they just had an omni.

The parabolic can better receive the signal as well as send it in a more
directed fashion, so this works on both directions.

Roger.

Nick Sibbing wrote:

>Gday All
>All things being equal would the effective link distance between
>an 8db omni and a parabolic eg 20db modded galaxy be longer than
>that between 2 omnis alone.
>
>My theory/question here is that the galaxy can send the omni a
>more focussed signal. But I wonder if it is also better able to
>receive the less focussed signal from the omni and therefore
>have a longer link.
>
>And what estimated real world distances might one hope to
>achieve assuming 30mw cards.
>
>Kind Regards
>Nick Sibbing

Roger Venning	\ Do not go gentle into that good night
Melbourne        \ Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Australia <r.venning at telstra.com>                 Dylan Thomas