[MLB-WIRELESS] Microtik 200mW Wireless cards for $125USD

Tony Langdon, VK3JED vk3jed at optushome.com.au
Wed Jul 17 21:05:09 EST 2002

At 08:50 PM 17/07/2002 +1000, Michael Borthwick wrote:

>I spoke with the ACA today and am advised, if I interpreted their
>comments correctly, that provided the device conforms to the limits of the
>class license it does currently fall under the EMC regime - that is
>Electromagnetic Compatibility - which deals with interference with other
>devices (you might have seen the C-Tick approval sticker on computer gear,
>for example.

Interesting, though it should be noted that the only ACA information you
can rely on 100% is official documentation.  Anything else is really
"informed opinion".

>Additionally, there is currently no mandated standards which apply to
>802.11b, in contrast to other types of transmitters such as CB radios and
>LIPD video transmitters etc.

I find that a bit surprising...  David, Luke, U guys know any more?

>  It would appear then that wireless cards do not currently require a C-Tick
>
>mark or other compliance testing / documentation if they meet the
>requirements of the class license (which they may not - see below).  So I
>was wrong on that score - apologies to Ferni.
>
>The power levels in the class license
>http://www.aca.gov.au/legal/licence/class/spread.htm for Spread Spectrum
>Devices are
>
>2400 MHz - 2463 MHz    Not exceeding 4 W (this appears to cover 802.11
>channels 1 to 11)
>
>2463 MHz - 2483.5 MHz     Not exceeding 200 mW (this appears to cover
>802.11 channels 12 to 14)
>

>Given that the Microtik cards already output 200mW am I correct in assuming
>
>that with any practical (non-isotropic) antenna such as dipole you would
>immediately exceed the limit for the upper end of the band.

A dipole would probably be alright, by the time you add a couple dB coax
and connector  loss.

>Note: David vk3jda at optushome.com.au indicated in an earlier post that 2400
>MHz - 2463 MHz  actually limits you to channels 1 to 9 because of the
>spread. Perhaps someone can speak intelligently to this question.
>
>Note: I have never seen a channel higher than 11 in my stumbler logs

The channels are 22 MHz wide, so they extend 11 MHz either side of the
carrier frequency.

73 de Tony, VK3JED
http://vk3jed.vk.irlp.net