[MLB-WIRELESS] Microtik 200mW Wireless cards for $125USD

darrend at ndpgroup.com.au darrend at ndpgroup.com.au
Tue Jul 16 13:20:36 EST 2002

Well said Michael.... most of these 'dodgy' branded high output cards all
seem to have very average rx sensitivity, which completely defeats the
purpose.
The best way to get better range/performance is to work on your antenna's
and feeds which will yield benefits in both directions!
For those who are unaware of the calculations, the 4W (36dBm) EIRP limit
can be reached using a 30mW card and a 24dB antenna.
15dBm (30mW card) + 24dB (modded glaxy) - 3dB (cable loss) = 36dBm

Lets face it, there aren't many of us who are going to need links in excess
of 40km

Considering you can get the cisco 352's (100mW and kickass rx sens.) for
just under AUD $300 locally, why bother with these types of cards...

Darren Dreis
Vice President
Melbourne Wireless Inc.
vicepresident at wireless.org.au
http://www.wireless.org.au

                    Michael Borthwick
                    <holden at netspace.net.au>        To:     melbwireless at wireless.org.au
                    Sent by:                        cc:
                    owner-melbwireless at wirel        Subject:     Re: [MLB-WIRELESS] Microtik 200mW
                    ess.org.au                      Wireless cards for $125USD

                    16/07/2002 12:38 PM

Andrew Dean wrote:

> I've been speaking with a rep from Microtik, about organising a bulk
> buy of the 200mW cards directly from them. I have managed to get these
> prices (in USD obviously) We can offer you very good prices on 200mW
> cards-200mW PCMCIA card only- $125;200mW Kit (PCMCIA, PCI Bus adapter,
> MMCX-NMale or Female pigtail)- $175. with our exchange rate at the
> moment these prices with shipping should be less than double.... If i
> put an offer on the TIB how many people would be interested? As you
> can see the Kit is a very good deal too... cradle, card, and pigtail
> for ~ $350AUD These cards are expensive compared to the enterasys
> cards but they are also alot more powerfull, could make for good use
> with an omni for an AP? Feedback?

 Some feedback:

These cards don't appear to be approved for use in Australia, or indeed
in Latvia where they are made.

Importing these cards might pose a legal risk to yourself and / or
Melbourne Wireless.

I believe it sends out the wrong message, and would play into the hands
of our well known critics (see Darren's post).

While you might know enough about RF safety and regulations to only
ever  connect
these cards only to a low gain omni or via a very long run of coax there

is no way of ensuring that someone in the future won't mainline it into
the back a high gain antenna, which would not only be illegal but also
might also be dangerous.

The receive sensitivity of these cards is lower than Enterasys /
Orinocco at all data rates except 11Mbps where is it only 1 (one) dBm
better and is substantially lower than Cisco 100mW cards. Therefore I
can't actually see what the advantage of the extra power is in the
application you suggest - you might be able to stomp on people further
away from your site, but you won't be able *hear* anything coming back
from them.