[MLB-WIRELESS] Orientation of antennas

Tony Smith tony at tonsyl.org
Mon Jul 15 16:26:19 EST 2002

Jason

Once again the joke is on me.

There is some thin interveneing shrubbery and we were getting less than
expected results both in terms of transfer speed and persistence.

I walked down the street with my laptop and its pathetic "diversity" antenna
and watched the signal strnegth drop off. It coccurede to me that the
"rubber ducky" antenna might have worked just as well given the altitude at
the top of my roof and given that he had followed your instructions
carefully I started to think we had missed something blindingly obvious to
everyone but us.

We are, as you correctly summised, currently interfereing with intergalactic
traffic whilst not radiating much power in the intended plane.

Bearing in mind that this constitutes mistakes 22 & 23 we will re-oriant
them tonight under cover of darkness.

Further silly question.

I've had contact today from someone living in the opposite direction, can I
use a "T" piece and simply connect another antenna at the masthead, or would
this have too great a penalty in radiated power, or  is it just a dorky idea
full stop?