[MLB-WIRELESS] Can dimensions

Jamie Lovick jalovick at doof.org
Thu Jul 11 18:14:49 EST 2002

On Thu, 11 Jul 2002, Joris wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 04:11:00PM +1000, Simon Hall wrote:
> > Does anyone have a definitive list of cans/products that will make a
> > good cantenna.  A DB of this would be cool
>
> http://www.turnpoint.net/wireless/cantennahowto.html contains
> usefull stuff, altough I don't know how "exact" it is. Also, keep
> your imperial/metric convertor handy.

If you check out the Sydney Wireless site, we had a cantenna design
session at our last field day. Details should be there.

> For the length, I heard someone make a statement on irc a while ago,
> the optimal length was close to 48cm, but that's a wild number...

Roughly 24 cm, which is two wavelenghs, a wavelengh being about 12 cm.

You want a tin between about 72 and 92 mm's (from memory), I think
closer to the 92 mm of the scale is better.

> Any other tips on how to improve a cantenna are welcome of course ;)
> I'm specifically bothered with the issue of wherether it's better to
> have a full, heavy-metal can, or something with very little metal in
> it, eg, aluminated cardboard..

Check out some of the links at http://www.nodedb.com/wiki/?info .. they
may be of help.

Basicially any smooth cylinder will do, as long as it has the correct
dimentions.

Regards

Jamie

--
Jamie Lovick    <->  IT Consultant    <-> +614 1479 1681
Hobby     : Doof.org                   -> jalovick at doof.org
Director  : Drastic Solutions Pty Ltd  -> jalovick at drasticsolutions.com.au
----- Public Relations Officer - the Australian Wireless Association -----