[MLB-WIRELESS] Ericsson Australia's submission to thewireless broadband inquiry

darrend at ndpgroup.com.au darrend at ndpgroup.com.au
Tue Jul 9 20:45:37 EST 2002

Guys, if you have a look at the transcripts from the ericsson hearing
(directly after ours). The way I read it, it looks as though they copped a
bit of a hammering from the committee on this subject. I think Michael
mentioned last week he got this impression also whilst he was there. If you
look at the various statements made by the committee, I don't think there's
much danger that they will be following ericsson's recomendations in
regards to spectrum allocation etc!

Darren Dreis
IT Manager
NDP Consulting
Tel 03 9548 9444  Fax 03 9548 9040

                    Clae <clae at tpg.com.au>
                    Sent by:                        To:     Michael Borthwick <holden at netspace.net.au>,
                    owner-melbwireless at wirel        melbwireless at wireless.org.au
                    ess.org.au                      cc:
                                                    Subject:     Re: [MLB-WIRELESS] Ericsson Australia's submission to
                                                    thewireless   broadband inquiry
                    09/07/2002 07:58 PM

At 11:17 AM +1000 9/7/02, Michael Borthwick wrote:
>Clae wrote:
>
>>  what a bunch of crap.  They're advocating spectrum rationing by $
>
>Shock ! Horror !
>
>That is *exactly* how the spectrum is rationed - it's called the market.

it's not how a *free* band should be rationed; the carrier licenses
apply only to commercial activity on the band.

>It would be irresponsible of them to argue for anything other than the
>introduction of licenses for the 2.4Ghz band in their submission (assuming
>Barry's interpretation of their statements is correct).

The licenses exist; they are arguing that there should be no
exemptions for non-profit use.
It would be irresponsible of us *not* to argue against this.

>This would force those
>using consumer grade equipment out of the band,

Exactly - ie us.

--
David Clae Gason
Secretary, Melbourne Wireless
mailto:secretary at wireless.org.au
http://wireless.org.au

i hate anarchists. i think there should be a law against them  -tahl