[MLB-WIRELESS] Page 2 of today's age

Clae clae at tpg.com.au
Tue Jul 9 04:14:35 EST 2002

At 12:57 PM +1000 8/7/02, Tyson.Clugg at csiro.au wrote:
>Should Melbourne Wireless post an article on our front page stating that we
>feel cracking is illegal and frowned upon?  Should we make the distinction
>between information gathering and dissemination (ie: warchalking) and
>malicious actions (ie: cracking)?

I think a short statement of purpose would be a good permanent
addition to the front page, with a link to a fuller explanation.  It
should be obvious at first visit who we are and what we're doing.  At
the moment it's not entirely clear.
It would also be good to bring the n00b relevant links - who we are,
getting started, FAQ etc, higher up the page.

>I think we need to be clear to those that are sensationalising the issue
>that we do not condone cracking (or 'hacking' as they incorrectly refer to
>it), and that regardless, the intent of warchalking is not malicious.
>
>One problem that I foresee is that if Melbourne Wireless is associated with
>warchalking, then we will be seen by the general community as being a group
>of 'hackers' who have little respect for the law - regardless of what we do.
>This is the media, they are out to make a buck from stories they publish -
>sensational stories of 'extremist' groups (as they may perceive us,
>correctly or not) sell.  Should we simply stay quiet and wait until
>everything blows over?
>
>My opinion: We should make a media release stating that we do not condone
>'cracking' or any other illegal activities.  We should not give credit to
>the notion that warchalking is in any way illegal, and should be careful
>that our statement can not be construed as being an endorsement of
>warchalking.  Your thoughts?

Yes to a press release.

>Regards,
>Tyson.
>___________________________
>
>    Tyson.Clugg at csiro.au
>  Treasurer at wireless.org.au
>    B/H: +61 3 9545 8117
>    A/H: +61 3 9887 0117
>    Mob: +61 4 0889 7662

David Clae Gason
Secretary, Melbourne Wireless
mailto:secretary at wireless.org.au
http://wireless.org.au

i hate anarchists. i think there should be a law against them  -tahl