[MLB-WIRELESS] *nix system for begginers

Duncan Robertson duncan at zog.net.au
Mon Jul 8 22:12:40 EST 2002

On Mon, 8 Jul 2002 13:25:27 +1000
"Random" <random at sectoid.org> wrote:

> With such a familiar sounding praise of *bsd i think i must add my
> 2cents. :)
>
> Sick of redhat/debian moving your config files? Sick of having to run
> some ridiculously buggy tool to setup that network card? Sick of weekly
> security patches just to keep your firewall your's (ie not 0wned)?

redhat hasn't moved config files around for years. A minor thing but I'm
tired of hearing 3rd generation redhat gripes that refer to ancient
behaviour being mentioned as current. The most recent bugs that have hit
redhat (openssh, apache) would have affected ALL free unixes running those
programs anyway.

> Then OpenBSD is your saviour! :)

Though any free with source Unix is cool, they all do things with
different ways to suit peoples preferences whilst remaining close enough
that ideas and bugfixes (and most concepts and learned skills) can easily
crosspollinate.

Duncan