[MLB-WIRELESS] D-Link Presentation moves to the August meeting

Craig Mead craig.mead at pagesmith.com.au
Mon Jul 8 15:45:52 EST 2002

| D-Link were scheduled to make a presentation to the users group meeting
this
| Friday, and were going to showcase their new products. Due to problems
| getting demonstration hardware in time for the meeting, D-Link will be
| appearing on the 9th August meeting.
|
| D-Link wishes to pass on their apologies, and will see us next month with
| their newest hardware.

It's worth the wait.

<snip from = "post on SW.com in regards to Field Day 6">

We also had the chance of seeing one of the first DLink + range products in
Australia. It was one of two DWL-650+ PCMCIA cards that are in Australia
 http://www.dlink.com/products/digitalHome/wireless/11b+/dwl650+/ ). While
some of you might say "but the DLink PCMCIA gear has a very bad reputation,
this card performed extremely well. They've gone with a new chipset (Texas
Instruments) and when combined with other + equipment it can achieve
22mb/sec (completely backwards compatible as well). Probably the only
downside to the card is the fact there is still no external antenna
connector, but there is the DWL-520+ card coming out which is the PCI
version and has the SMA connector on the back. Things are looking good. We
did some testing with the PCMCIA card from ~ 300 M down the road thru 3 or 4
brick walls (Cisco AP and 180 Deg. Slotted Waveguidewas set up on the stage
inside) and we obtained results of 100% signal and 100% link quality
(stumbler doens't support the chipset so couldn't get dB readings)

</snip>

I can't wait to get my hands on a pair of DWL-520+ PCI cards and see what
the 22mb/sec gives in real world thruput. Hopefully I should be able to get
these soon as well. I'll post as soon as I do.