[MLB-WIRELESS] This is scary if it's true

Robert Tchia robert.tchia at palantir.com.au
Mon Jul 8 12:49:07 EST 2002

Don’t know if there is any truth in it, but...

Robert X. Cringely is easily one of the most well-written and
shockingly intelligent columnists I've ever read. His latest column
takes on Palladium, and it sure made me do a double-take. Microsoft
releasing a proprietary version of TCP/IP? Oh my - smells like trouble
to me! Go check out the article - very interesting stuff.

"Last August, I wrote of a rumor that Microsoft wanted to replace
TCP/IP with a proprietary protocol -- a protocol owned by Microsoft --
that it would tout as being more secure. Actually, the new protocol
would likely be TCP/IP with some of the reserved fields used as
pointers to proprietary extensions, quite similar to Vines IP, if you
remember that product from Banyan Systems. I called it TCP/MS in the
column. How do you push for the acceptance of such a protocol? First,
make the old one unworkable by placing millions of exploitable TCP/IP
stacks out on the Net, ready-to-use by any teenage sociopath. When the
Net slows or crashes, the blame would not be assigned to Microsoft.
Then ship the new protocol with every new copy of Windows, and install
it with every Windows Update over the Internet. Zero to 100 million
copies could happen in less than a year.

This week, Microsoft announced Palladium through an exclusive story in
Newsweek written by Steven Levy, who ought to have known better.
Palladium is the code name for a Microsoft project to make all
Internet communication safer by essentially pasting a digital
certificate on every application, message, byte, and machine on the
Net, then encrypting the data EVEN INSIDE YOUR COMPUTER PROCESSOR.
Palladium compatible hardware (presumably chipsets and motherboards)
will come from both AMD and Intel, and the software will, of course,
come from Microsoft. That software is what I had dubbed TCP/MS.

The point of all this is simple. It may actually make the Internet
somewhat safer. But the real purpose of this stuff, I fear, is to take
technology owned by nobody (TCP/IP) and replace it with technology
owned by Redmond. That's taking the Internet and turning it into MSN.
Oh, and we'll all have to buy new computers.

This is diabolical. If Microsoft is successful, Palladium will give
Bill Gates a piece of every transaction of any type while at the same
time marginalizing the work of any competitor who doesn't choose to be
Palladium-compliant. So much for Linux and Open Source, but it goes
even further than that. So much for Apple and the Macintosh. It's a
militarized network architecture only Dick Cheney could love."

<http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20020627.html>

Taken from... Pocket PC Thoughts
(http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1899)