[MLB-WIRELESS] Fwd: [mesh] WOAH!

James Robertson orlock at central.warehouse.net
Tue Jul 2 11:46:36 EST 2002

On Tue, 2 Jul 2002, Dwayne wrote:

> Ryan Abbenhuys wrote:
> >
> > Then aren't they heading in the wrong direction if they are coming towards
> > melbwireless for internet access?
>
> With all due respect I'd suggest it is not for you or I to set Melbourne
> Wireless policy, it is up to the members.  If the membership wants IP
> access to the net, are you going to say no?
>
> And if so, how exactly are you going to do that?

Divide cost of carrier licence by amount of interested users who see it as
a necessity.

Ask them if they would all mind paying that much, plus bandwidth, etc etc.
Now, if all those people who want wireless internet for all dont want to
pony up the cash for a carriers licence, thats a pretty reasonably "No,
Sorry", imho anyway.

and if a carrier licence isnt needed, and somebody wants to set up a
wireless-internet bridge with some method of public access themselves,
whose to say no?

Are there any legal problems with a single person
PPTP/VPN/PPPOwhatever'ing into their home lan, to use their own private
internet connection? I'm guessing not. Thats how i'd see most people who
want/need to access the internet doing it.