[MLB-WIRELESS] Fwd: [mesh] WOAH!

Dwayne dwayne at pobox.com
Tue Jul 2 00:22:42 EST 2002

Ryan Abbenhuys wrote:

> Then aren't they heading in the wrong direction if they are coming towards
> melbwireless for internet access?

With all due respect I'd suggest it is not for you or I to set Melbourne
Wireless policy, it is up to the members.  If the membership wants IP
access to the net, are you going to say no?

And if so, how exactly are you going to do that?

> What happened to the good old days when people would joining the mailing
> list and say "oh cool free internet access I want to connect" and everyone
> responded with "ummm no, wrong idea, free "Intranet" access".

If you'll remember back that far you'll remember it wasn't everyone it
was a few vocal members and you'll also remember me pointing out that it
was up to the membership to decide policy.  We may well agree on no
external linkage to the Internet. Or we might not.  I'd like it, I'll
vote for it, it's not why I'm here, I just am a fan of redundancy.

> If we aren't marketing Melbwireless as a wireless ISP yet people come to us
> thinking that's what we are then maybe we need to start emphasising a few
> things to stress that this is not the case.

Such as exactly what we are.

Dwayne
mailto:ddraig at pobox.com