[MLB-WIRELESS] Fwd: [mesh] WOAH!

Toliman toliman at ihug.com.au
Mon Jul 1 23:32:07 EST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ryan Abbenhuys" <sneeze at alphalink.com.au>
Subject: Re: [MLB-WIRELESS] Fwd: [mesh] WOAH!

> Then aren't they heading in the wrong direction if they are coming towards
> melbwireless for internet access?
>
> What happened to the good old days when people would joining the mailing
> list and say "oh cool free internet access I want to connect" and everyone
> responded with "ummm no, wrong idea, free "Intranet" access".

I think they tried to reply to the list and forgot to change the reply-to
header.
have i mentioned i have a high tolerance for wierd, eccentric computing
disciplines and contraindicatory mailing lists with spam ?

IMO intranet is fine. the market for wireless is to people who want to
connect.

the only experience many people have in intranetworking is instant messaging
and email,  it's natural to want internet access and TCP/IP support without
the
need to stare at a screen at home/work, when you can be out and about while
conversing with strangers. wifi makes that easier, but it needs practical
application and practical uses besides ping, ftp, gaming and surfing the
web.
though, those uses are good, too.

> If we aren't marketing Melbwireless as a wireless ISP yet people come to
us
> thinking that's what we are then maybe we need to start emphasising a few
> things to stress that this is not the case.
> > Most people will be after net access, I predict.
> >
> > Dwayne

I don't doubt it. everyone wants 'net.
it's the best thing since... the last best thing that nobody remembers.
it's even better, since it creates opportunity for people to make money in
all
new ways. are we trying to rob people of the opportunity to extort money
for sevices from members in the future ?

it's nice to reach for the stars and touch the moon, but we are reaching for
the
stars and holding out our wallets, hoping against hope that we will find
ourselves
airborne. (or holding out purses for the PC-EEO's out there). there are
other
pressing needs, offering "the net" to prospective members is shortsighted
thinking,
because once we step from community to corporation, the costs increase
exponentially and liability and service levels also come into play, as well
as the
dozens of other costs. asking an ISP to step in to cover those costs, and
provide
 connectivity will bring an air of discomfort to the whole community, as
well as
poison any ties we have as a non-profit organisation. not withstanding,
being a
NPO has tangible benefits. not many, but some.

The only trouble really is in the inherent problems, i.e. the coverage is
limited and
unreliable at best, even with numerous backup links and hundreds of AP's
spread
out over a 1-2 km matrix of the whole metropolitan area, right now with the
current  technology, 802.11b will cover 1-2% of the population of melbourne.
the
technology isnt yet stable enough to do this over an area wider than the
CBD,
but yes, it's nice to reach for the stars.

Toliman.