[MLB-WIRELESS] Fwd: [mesh] WOAH!

Dwayne dwayne at pobox.com
Mon Jul 1 22:16:16 EST 2002

Ryan Abbenhuys wrote:

> The next stage of evolution for the wireless network is NOT for it to
> provide Internet Access, that is nothing to do with it whatsoever so don't
> even mention the word Internet.  IF and when Internet becomes involved it
> will be a completely separate thing that "latches" onto the melbwireless
> network through someone who is game enough to provide it and somehow account
> for the costs and fees involved.
> It may even be a completely different group that provide the internet
> service and use the melbwireless network to do so.  But again, Melbwireless
> and (insert name of dude providing internet feed) are completely separate.

Actually, someone could make quite a nifty business out of providing
access to MW members.
Anyone want to make some money? Hire Kevin and provide a for-profit feed
to the MW non-profit network. That was MW is still non-profit, Ryan et
al stop ranting, you make some cash, everyone is happy, and we don't
have to stuff about with a carrier license.

> "Internet connectivity is a rather obvious conclusion."   - This is one of
> the silliest statements i've heard so far.

Actually, it is incredibly obvious that it is the obvious conclusion.
Just because you are cool and can think of funkah uses for it, doesn't
mean everyone else is.
I'll bet 95% of everyone who ever joins joins because they are after net
access.

I'm into collaborative stuff. But I'm also aware that I'm not exactly Mr
Standard Demographic.
Most people will be after net access, I predict.

Dwayne
mailto:ddraig at pobox.com