[MLB-WIRELESS] Fwd: [mesh] WOAH!

Ryan Abbenhuys sneeze at alphalink.com.au
Mon Jul 1 14:07:10 EST 2002

If we start looking at providing an Internet feed then Melbwireless moves away
from being a hobby/interest group/organisation, and moves toward being a non-profit
organisation/business.

Soon the main contributers have to devote so much time to keeping it running,
they will have to quit their own jobs and work out a way to draw a wage from
Melbwireless.
We will have to hire accountants to take care of the books and god knows what
else.

My view is that Melbwireless was not intended to be a replacement for ISP's.
 It was never going to interest your average Joe Shmoe who uses the net to check
his hotmail account, research his family history, and lookup porn.
It is an alternative for some services that you can use the internet for, like
file sharing, IRC, gaming, etc.

And i've said it once and i'll say it again.  Why put energy into investigating
the viability of an Internet feed when you could be putting that energy into
getting an actual network happening.  I'm thinking we've got a pile of people
here with a Enterasys wireless card in their PC/notebook with no wireless network
at all saying "yeah sic mate, internet feed for my wireless network, wicked".
 WHAT BLOODY WIRELESS NETWORK?!?!?? You've got a wireless card and a can of
pears you think you might make into a "cantenna" one day. Big woop.

I'm starting to feel as if I'm the only person who has something up and running
and is actually physically making progress instead of just talking and speculating
about it.

.....okay i'm finished.
This has been a public annoucement for the "Get off your ass" Party, Canberra.

LMCT 5823