[MLB-WIRELESS] 900MHz wireless LAN?

Tony Langdon tlangdon at atctraining.com.au
Mon Jul 1 09:44:45 EST 2002

> One of our local ISPs is starting to offer wireless broadband Internet
> access in the 900MHz frequency range. Apparently it is not
> necessary to have
> line of sight to access this serviceon'tHow can that work?
> WHat are the
> propagation issues I don't know about here? What kind of
> range is to be
> expected (they have an omni antenna on their roof - I noticed)?
> Cheers,
> Joe
> Bendigo

The theory is rather similar to 2.4 GHz, except that the frequency is
somewhat lower, which means the line of sight requirement is a bit less
critical (though not eliminated).  You can get a range similar to 2.4 GHz,
depending on terrain (as the path gets worse, 900 MHz becomes the better
performer of the two).  Also not that available bandwidth is generally much
less on 900 MHz.

The power limit is 1W EIRP, if I recall.
Typical bandwidth is several hundred kbps (don't know exact specs).
Antennas can be omnis (easier to build here!) or Yagis (for directional).
Dishes tend to be rather large and cumbersome at this frequency.

Others will be able to add more to this bit of info.