[MLB-WIRELESS] 900MHz wireless LAN?

David vk3jda at optushome.com.au
Mon Jul 1 02:47:22 EST 2002

> One of our local ISPs is starting to offer wireless broadband Internet
> access in the 900MHz frequency range.

Can have a MAX power out of - 1w EIRP if using the 900MHz ISM band (915 to
928MHz).

Most card have a data rate of 100 to 200 kbs.

> Apparently it is not necessary to have
> line of sight to access this serviceon't How can that work?

900MHz dose not need LOS but it dose help a lot, rember cell phone are just
below the 900MHz ISM band.

I have had upto 10km with 9el beams, 3+ km 6dbi omni and 6el beam & are
running one site just out side of Melb CBD 1.2km 4dbi omnis all sites are
LOS. Have one site 800m 6el beams and no is NOT LOS (two very big warehouses
in the way.

> WHat are the
> propagation issues I don't know about here? What kind of range is to be
> expected (they have an omni antenna on their roof - I noticed)?
> Cheers,
> Joe
> Bendigo

I wish them luck they are going to need it.

          Thank you
          David
          VK3JDA
          Webmaster M&DRC