[MLB-WIRELESS] Help via instant messangers?

Jeremy Lunn jeremy at austux.net
Thu Jan 31 14:23:10 EST 2002

On Thu, Jan 31, 2002 at 01:19:51PM +1100, ABBENHUYS, Ryan wrote:
> Bloody spam....

Bloody mail clients that don't create an In-Reply-To header so that
*real* mail clients can thread correctly!  And bloody mail clients that
don't support real quoting!

I don't see how my message is spam either.  Just like how melbwireless
is about creating an *open* community network that no company owns the
rights to, Jabber is about doing the same thing but with Instant
Messaging.  But ok the goals of both these projects are completely
different.  Jabber is about developing an open protocol as well as a
server implementation while melbwireless uses existing protocols and is
mainly about individuals and organisations co-operating and sharing each
other's infrastructure.

Anyway I'm not tied to Jabber in anyway.  I'm just trying to spread the
word because I'm sick of the way AOL changes the ICQ protocol so much
that most of the time I can hardly communicate with people because I'm
using the Licq client and now everyone seems to be using MSN which is no
more open than ICQ.  And then there's the problem that MSN and ICQ all
centralised and if they go down you can't use them where as with Jabber,
if one server goes down then that just means you can't communicate with
users on that server.

Oh and then Jabber does implement other protocols on the server side
(called Transports) so you can use the one client to communicate with
everyone who hasn't changed to Jabber yet.

--
Jeremy Lunn
Melbourne, Australia