[MLB-WIRELESS] The Wireless Esky - sec/crypto

Jeremy Lunn jeremy at austux.net
Wed Jan 30 17:57:29 EST 2002

On Tue, Jan 29, 2002 at 05:29:10PM +1100, magrathea at subdimension.com wrote:
> > Using a SSH tunnel or VPN is no excuse.  The more layers of security,
> > the better.
>
> Assuming lots of things, doubling your encryption is next to useless, ie:
> encrypting it, then encrypting it again.

If you use encryption, does that mean that the packets are dropped if
they aren't encrypted with your key?  If that is the case then it would
mean that your Access Point would be harder (but not impossible) to find
which as far as I'm concerned is a good extra layer of security.  But
I can't remember if this is the case because it's been sometime since I
read up on 802.11.

SSH over a VPN is another thing.  Some people would wonder why you'd do
it but if you do it and someone is sniffing your packets then they don't
know from the VPN packets if you are simply viewing a non-confidential
html documentation or if your making an ssh connection using password
authentication.

--
Jeremy Lunn
Melbourne, Australia