[MLB-WIRELESS] The future

Marian Szczepkowski Marian.Szczepkowski at ericsson.com.au
Fri Jan 25 14:15:31 EST 2002

Charging for anything would require the individual or group to hold a
carrier license
while this is not difficult the problem arises when they try to implement
a pay for use
service. The class license covering 2.4 and 5gHz clearly state that when
it comes to
interference you are on your own. Hence they would not be able to stop
you running a
parallel service for free.

The business model for routing is severely broken.

Where large areas are involved, these networks are probably only suited
to hobby
groups such as this one, and possibly councils seeking to do some good
for there
communities, especially in remote areas where a council or community
organisations
could use this as a vehicle to obtain better cost control for internet
access.

This is not to say that someone may not charge to act as an internet
gateway whilst
still being a member of melbwireless, but internet access does cost
money. I see
no reason why this should be a concern to anyone. I suspect that the
individual
doing this would be subject to some fierce competition though.

On 1/24/02, 5:24:09 PM, Mark Saward <tyreth at yahoo.com> wrote regarding RE:
[MLB-WIRELESS] The future:

> Would it be possible to put anything into writing?

> The reason why I ask this is because there are people that will always
> try and take control of something good and turn it into a profitable
> enterprise for themselves.  Sometimes they might have romantic notions
> that it will improve the service, but in the end it is a different
> spirit that is at work, and power is removed from the people again.

> Mark

> > If anyone starts trying to charge for access I'd imagine they would no
> > longer be regarded as part of the Melbwireless Network and would not be
> > welcome to contribute to ideas and projects or even connect to the
Network
> > for that matter.
> >
> > Charging for access goes against what Melbwireless is.

you are not the intended recipient you are not authorised to copy or disclose
all or any part of it without the prior written consent of the Metropolitan
Fire and Emergency Services Board.