[MLB-WIRELESS] more information please

Drew drew at wirelessanarchy.com
Fri Jan 25 08:04:43 EST 2002

plucka wrote:

>  Hi there,
>

> I'm Located at the highest point in Mooroolbark overlooking Mt Dandenong.

cool

> I was interested in to how this network is run ? (costs, equipment
> cost's etc)

by a loose knit cooperation of individuals, all costs are only to buy
what you need to hook up.

> What do i do to get hooked up ?

firstly, add yourself to the node database.
do you want to be a public access point or a backbone link, or both? you
probably only want to be public ap if there is a public place nearby,
such as a park... but then you're also isolated and wont really become a
part of the network when it gets going. so lets say you want to start as
a backbone node and maybe add a public ap later, for now what you'll
need is a pc with a isa/pci to pcmcia adapter and a pcmcia wireless
card, or one of the pure pci cards, which arent as common. you'll need a
pigtail, some microwave cable such as LMR-400, and a high gain
directional antenna. then, contact people on the node db who you have
line of sight to, point the antenna at them, have them point at you, and
hopefully all is good.

more info can be found in the faq
http://melbwireless.dyndns.org/pages.php?page=FAQ or getting started
http://melbwireless.dyndns.org/pages.php?page=Getting+Started or the
wiki http://melbwireless.dyndns.org/wiki/?RecentChanges

> Would i be an advantage to youre wireless community being in such a
> high location ?

most likely, yes