[MLB-WIRELESS] The future

lkhoo at csc.com.au lkhoo at csc.com.au
Thu Jan 24 12:57:34 EST 2002

I think mark was implying that a person with an important routing node
would suddently start charging for the relay of packets ot other parts of
the free network.

I think the whole "providing inet access to wireless ppl" thing has been
debated quite a bit already and as someone else mentioned "unnamed telcos
ARE watching these mailling lists".

Lucas

                    Drew
                    <drew at wirelessan        To:     melbwireless at melbwireless.dyndns.org
                    archy.com>              cc:
                                            Subject:     Re: [MLB-WIRELESS] The future
                    24/01/2002 12:24
                    PM
                    Please respond
                    to melbwireless

If someone charged for access to an uplink to the internet from their
node they wouldn't suddenly control the whole network.

Nevermind the fact they'd need a carrier's license and probably would
never do this, of course.

-D

Mark Saward wrote:

>Thinking ahead...
>
>If in the future this takes off and becomes very popular around
>Melbourne, or perhaps even further than that...
>
>Would it be possible for one/a few people, either on this list now or to
>join up in the future to legally/through hardware gain control of
>important points of the WAN and act like an ISP or something new, taking
>away the free nature of the WAN?
>
>Is there any way that the WAN can be protected, like the GNU GPL
>license, to ensure that it is always free to those with the hardware?
>
>Mark Saward

Archive at: