[MLB-WIRELESS] meshing

Jason Hecker jason at air.net.au
Mon Jan 21 14:44:17 EST 2002

>let's distinguish between an ad-hoc mesh, where all nodes are routers
>and use omni-directional radio, and a configured backbone architecture
>with redundant uni-directional links.

Ah, I am not saying the whole network must be an adhoc mesh.  A good mix of
central backbone APs and associated local mesh.  Unfortunately, I don't
forsee too many central APs going up where they need to be and perhaps an
initial dependency on a mesh-like structure to get more people on
sooner.  The mesh would help alleviate congestion at the central node,
especially for local traffic.  In suburbia in particular with all it's
signal eating trees, unless people can get honking great masts on their
roofs, then short hops in a mesh like system may well work the best.  A
mesh with smart routing will mean the difference between go and no go for
quite a few people too.

Unfortunately, I don't know about the finer details of 802.11b and won't
until I get my cards and start playing (c'mon Jacob!)  How are the channels
allocated?  Are they fixed or do the cards tune to whatever they need to to
talk to other cards?