[MLB-WIRELESS] meshing

Jason Hecker jason at air.net.au
Mon Jan 21 13:39:36 EST 2002

>The only immediately obvious advantage that an amateur like me can see
>with a universal mesh network is that every time an antenna goes up, the
>network is extended.  And IIRC redundancy builds bandwidth?

Also, the more antennas that go up, the more flexible the routes as
well.  So if someone goes down, the mesh can automatically readapt and deal
with it.

>I imagine that the packet-clog that an individual might experience could
>be weighed against the advantage of being able to help their mates further
>up the valley to join in.  I can just imagine the frustration of someone
>who has spent a largish amount of money under the impression he/she will
>be able to do this, only to find that they can't.

That's right.  Without having access to something like the top of the
Rialto tower, central nodes which are backboned to other central nodes are
going to have a comparatively small coverage.  Meshing will allow a more
cooperative and robust environment for users who can't see the backbone
nodes.  For instance, I can't see the tower in Fitzroy that is mooted for a
central AP even though I live a few kilometers away in Flemington because
of public housing blocks and that darned hill called Parkville.  With a
mesh I could get to it conceivably via someone in Kensington then Parkville
then Fittuzroy.