[MLB-WIRELESS] solar not so crayzee -was- Re: Cray---zeeee idea.

Clae clae13 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 21 10:02:33 EST 2002

>Was wandering through cool airconditioned K-Mart East Burwood last night and
>noticed something interesting.  Solar powered car battery chargers.  Come
>with a reasonable large solar cell on them.  Someone with a bit more
>electronics knowledge than myself may want to take a look for them next time
>your in K-Mart.

these things are also available on-line at http://www.jaycar.com.au
in two differnt sizes.  you can compare the specs and prices there
with plain solar panels in various sizes.

AFAIK the only difference between these "car chargers" and plain
cells is the cable with the cigarette lighter plug, there's no charge
control circuit added.  not that i've checked, they just look that
way to me.

IMHO they are not such good value against plain panels of a similar
rated capacity.

anyone out there thinking of buying solar cells might want to know
that the "word on the street" is that amorphous silicon cells (sold
as Canon Uni-solar) are the best price-performance compared to the
other two main types:  poly-crystalline and mono-crystalline.  they
work better in cloudy or partly-shaded conditions, and thus give you
more charging hours per day.

there's been a couple of threads on this line - if you like i could
dig them out and mail them to you.  mail me off list.

Clae.