[MLB-WIRELESS] Licensing issues

Langdon Stevenson langdons at bigpond.net.au
Thu Jan 17 19:26:42 EST 2002

Hi

I have been snooping around the archives and trying to come to grips with
the laws about carrying 3rd party data over a private wireless network.  I
am still uncertain about a few things and wonder if anyone can clarify for me.

I am moving to Goulburn fairly soon and will therefore be loosing my cable
internet access.  Therefore I would like to build a wireless connection
between myself and one of the local ISPs to give me fast access to their
network.

If the ISP was offering this service to me they would require a license to
do so.  However, would it make a difference if I co-located my own server
(and antenna) on their premises and established the link to my house?  I
would not be redistributing their service to anyone, just passing traffic
across my private network.  Anyone have any comment on this arrangement?

Regards - Langdon