[MLB-WIRELESS] 'Passive' repeater

Ben Ryan ben at bssc.edu.au
Tue Jan 15 17:58:19 EST 2002

> By the way the guys name is Karl Bahr not Baha as I previously mentioned.  I
> just cannot read hand writing :)
> Simon
--snip--
>>I too have been looking at that there was a thread last week about that
> sort
>>of stuff.  Since then I have been talking to Karl Baha at Pacific Satellite
>>and his recommendations were to use another AP as a repeater.
>>I do believe that hooking two antenna may possibly work, but don't quote me
>>on it.

pacsat.. hehe, I spose you've seen the pricing??
24dBi Parabolic for 2.4Ghz.. rrp$470.00!
Lightning supressor - $260!
2W BiDi Amp - $2000

Not quite a community wireless supplier.

As for passive repeaters, the theory is all good using very short run low loss
cable, good connectors with low insertion loss and 24-28dBi parabolics at all
ends.
Use different polarization on each link segment to try and reduce multipath.
Anything other than hi-gain parabolics, depending on expected range, is prolly a
waste of time. Would be feasible for a pair of yagi's on say a 500m link but for
decent haul wouldn't be workable.