[MLB-WIRELESS] Omni Drectional Antenna Design

Julian Featherston julian at concentrate.com.au
Tue Jan 15 17:52:23 EST 2002

Could someone post the math required to establish what is the max legal
gain for a given card output and how the card output mW relate to signal
dBm (does dBm = decibels at one meter?)

In the following text one presumes he means a 30mW card with 24db
amplification will exceed 4000mW power output - better be sure before I
plug 100mW into 24dB  :¬)
The New Zealand power regulations are the same as Aus - 4000 mW.

FROM THE NZ AIRPORT GUY
http://www.macintouch.com/airportantenna.html#macmillan
>"The Airport card is rated at 15dBm or 30 mW (milliwatts). The Yagi
directional antenna at 17 dB gain
>(amplification ) raises this to 1500mw, well within the New Zealand
Regulations. These figures were checked
>with the New Zealand authority responsible for permitting radio
frequency devices.

>In addition I spoke with a Lucent engineer in Australia who said that
using the pair of Yagi directional
>antenna 17Km should be possible, and that with one installation they
had done, they had managed 57Km
>between an island and the mainland while staying within FCC
regulations.

>There are some antenna, which will exceed the regulations, specifically
antenna with 24 dB or more gain.
>These were not tested"

Jules