[MLB-WIRELESS] Clearing up a few issues. (aka what melbwirele ss is all about)

Tony Langdon tlangdon at atctraining.com.au
Tue Jan 15 16:06:14 EST 2002

> If someone's distributing warez, dob them into the BSAA and
> claim your 2000

They're gold. :)

> pieces of silver. If someone hacks you, call the police. Objectional
> content? Phone the ACA and get a take-down notice. There are
> already ways

Hmm, take down notices... I have a BIG problem with that particular piece of
legislation.  However, in certain cases (e.g. child porn), I wouldn't
hesitate to use it.

For other (legal) things, I'd rather leave lie, but inform the manufacturers
of filtering software and maintainers of block lists, to help parents and
others make informed decisions for themselves.

But that's the law...

> and means in place externally to melbwireless without having
> to try and
> police it internally.
>
> Setting rules raises some interesting issues:
> (a) What form of due process will determine who is disconnected and/or
> barred? Will there be an inquiry before a disconnection
> notice is issued?
> Who has the authority to determine this? Can it be overruled
> or retracted?
> Does responsibility rest with one person or a collective?
> (b) Appeals process for those who feel they've been wrongly
> disconnected?
> (c) What information are we legally required to provide to
> authorities? Do
> we provide it as individuals or as a collective? If another
> member agrees to
> provide information to authorities, am I by proxy granting
> consent to also
> give information by being a member of melbwireless? What details will
> melbwireless collect from members that it will pass on to authorities?
>
> Best to leave the network open.

Definitely a good point...

Didn't think of it from that angle...

But don't get me started on Internet censorship... ;-)

---
Outgoing mail has been scanned for viruses