[MLB-WIRELESS] Clearing up a few issues. (aka what melbwireless is all about)

Adrian Close adrian at close.wattle.id.au
Tue Jan 15 15:13:35 EST 2002

Some comments...

On Tue, 15 Jan 2002, Steven Haigh wrote:

> 1) A free network for all who choose to connect and abide by "the rules"

I suggest "these rules", since this is our de facto manifesto/charter.

> 3) Show the big guys that the communications world is not just for them.

We could be more diplomatic.  How about "Demonstrate the capacity of a
non-profit community group to operate a world-class network" or similar...

> The rules:
> 1) There will be no illegal activity on "the network". This includes "warez"
> or attempting to illegally access information ("cracking").

Existing laws more than cover this, I think.  How about "the network may
only be used for legal purposes".  And probably needs something about
which jurisdiction you're talking about...

> 3) Anyone found to be in breach of any of The Rules, which may change
> without notice (the rules will only be changed to protect MelbWireless and
> "The Network" from legal or malicious use) and action will be taken to

I think you meant "illegal".

A good start in any case.  Any lawyers on the list want to comment?  :)
Kimberly Heitmann of EFA would be a good person to ask...

Adrian Close			email:	adrian at close.wattle.id.au
1 Old Gippsland Rd.		web:	http://www.close.wattle.id.au/~adrian
Lilydale, VIC, 3140, Australia	mobile:	+61 412 385 201

Echelon teaser: MD5 RX-7 SSL Kiwi TRD DEADBEEF Bubba