[MLB-WIRELESS] 'Passive' repeater

Michael Borthwick holden at netspace.net.au
Mon Jan 14 22:52:35 EST 2002

Joseph Sirucka wrote:

> Robbie
>
> I am in the process of trying to set this up myself. I am thinking of
> using the apple airport since it can be transformed into other housing
> and also its low power you can power this by solar cells and batteries.
>
> As for the price, the airport is cheap, but the solar cells, are another
> set of issues.

I think you solar setup will be a lot cheaper than your Airport.

According to this post in the samba list:
http://lists.samba.org/pipermail/wireless/2001-February/002089.html

The Airport draws max 290mA with it's internal modem removed.

These cells from those crazy freaksters at Oatley Electronics put out 5.7V at 220mA and cost $36 for four.
http://www.oatleyelectronics.com/solar.html

Even a 5W panel from Tricky Dickies is only $130

A nice chunkified 12V gel cell battery and electronics to regulate charging (if required) would be another $60

Here is a nice piccy of setup http://www.cowmix.com/solar5/compressed/MVC00007.JPG
Hopefully your locate is this scenic...