[MLB-WIRELESS] Hold off on buying wireless equipment for a fe w months!

Alex F alexf at optushome.com.au
Mon Jan 14 14:25:45 EST 2002

At 02:02 PM 14/01/2002, you wrote:
>So what effective Dta rate will you get after 3-5 km
>with 802.11b???
>
>I bet Jack shit!!

Consider some scenarios:
A - if you have 1 expensive 802.11g node and no one to connect to, I bet
your data rate will be even less than J.S.
B - if you have a few close ( < 2-3km) neighbours and/or friends with cheap
802.11b, your data rate might be better than J.S.
C - if you and your nearest node don't care about wireless connectivity
with anyone else for while, go for 802.11g and enjoy.

I'm in position "A" with an 802.11b card.  No point in getting an 802.11g
card if they are expensive and I'd still have nobody to connect to.  The
optimal solution would be to get more people connected close by when the
cards become affordable to more people.

Like all other standards, 802.11g will probably be incompatible with 802.11b.
So, just wait till 802.11h comes in and upgrade to 802.11g then.