[MLB-WIRELESS] Hold off on buying wireless equipment for a few months!

Michael Bailey mbailey at enternet.com.au
Mon Jan 14 10:45:27 EST 2002

On Sun, Jan 13, 2002 at 01:36:31PM +0000, s t wrote:

> I don't place comments very often on this group, but my view is that if
> possible hold off on buying wireless lan 11Mbit cards and access points for
> a number of months.

People should sit on their hands for six months? Boring.

> 1) 802.11b, even though rated at 11Mbit, realistically over any
>    distance greater than a couple of hundred feet, rarely yields
>    an effective transfer greater than 150kilobytes/sec, even with
>    high gain directional antenna. I have personally played with cisco
>    access points, and lucent cards  and come to that conclusion.

You're saying a 1.5mbps link is not good enough? I think it's very good
when you compare it to what else is on offer (cable, adsl, isdn). Does
anyone here have a faster link to their house?

> 2) You should wait to the middle of this year for the 802.11g (54Mbit)
>    to emerge, also based on the 2.4GHz, not 5GHz. Don't waste money on
>    the current stuff!

There's always going to be something better six months around the
corner. There comes a time when you have to stop talking about it and
start doing
it.

Community wireless will become a lot more interesting when folks
are putting their minds to real world problems presented by their
'real' networks.

On that note, is there anyone else in the Port/South Melbourne area keen
to link up?

- Mike