[MLB-WIRELESS] Hold off on buying wireless equipment for a few months!

Julian Featherston julian at concentrate.com.au
Mon Jan 14 04:27:19 EST 2002

11b gear can simply be on sold to new users.
Just as FHSS gear is being bought cheap now

We need a WAN that allows users to take advantage of the price of old
equipment and the speed of the new (will always be so)
IMHO the network requires a robust dedicated backbone administered and
funded co-operatively such that users can install gear at the backbone
nodes(BBN).
Users should be able to fund the installation of a dedicated card and
antenna at the BBN or get together to fund the addition of an AP and
antenna.
Of course the cost of additions is always going to be tricky to
calculate and who pays power consumption where the BBN is not getting
"sponsored" power?
I think it was Drew who said at the BBQ "the first thing is to get the
backbone linked". (Great BBQ/Meet, and thankyou Tyson)
In pursuit of that I'd like to fund a BBN in inner eastern melb.
Although I'm happy to install it for inner east users alone, it would
seam more critical that it's in range of other BBN's. So I would like to
know who I can work with to get the best interconnection of BBN's - you
might think it's a bit early for that planing but it would influence
where this BBN is installed.
The node list is a fantastic resource but it doesn't define who is
willing to setup a BBN and who would like to be a client.
Am I jumping the gun?, seams to me that the first priority is getting
the backbone group connected with dedicated card-card /
directional-directional links, and running 24 7.

P.S. lots of microwave antenna info / experiments
http://www.qsl.net/n1bwt/contents.htm

Jules