READ THIS: RE: [MLB-WIRELESS] grumpy people - get a move on

adamneat adam.neat at agn-consulting.com
Sat Jan 12 22:15:24 EST 2002

Guys,

Theres not much to be creative about it. I've been watching this thread for
a few weeks now.

A few points for everyone to read into:

1) I know that there are a few organisations swarming and monitoring this
type of proposed organisation *VERY* closely.
2) The ACA has supposedly been contacted with regards to what has been
termed as a 'Melbourne public wireless group' - whether its this group, or
another group, it doesn't matter, however, they are aware of it and they are
monitoring.
3) I know the laws and legal situation of an organisation such as this. Its
grey at best but, the bottom line is this:

	NO 'Internet' traffic can traverse the wireless WAN - NONE - without a
carrier license. I was involved in the setting up of a company 18 months ago
which ended up requiring a carrier license to operate - not enough venture
capital could be sought to cover the extra costs of a national carrier
license (anywhere from 3 - 5 million.)

	It is legal to transfer what we want over a wireless WAN so long as its not
internet data - ie: only data sourced within the entities network (ie: the
wireless WAN). I can't offer my internet connection interface to anyone
else. period.

So, there is no use in discussing anything to the contrary.

The legals dont state that we cannot have independent interfaces to the
Internet at large and share private data - this again is very grey and from
the various discussions I've had with the ACA, this appears to be ok.

The concept of the group would be for it have shared resources internally
and nothing more than that - which does suggest a LOT of value in getting it
up and running.

I'm happy to provide more info as requested but these are the boundaries.

Regards

Adam

----
Adam Neat