[MLB-WIRELESS] Suggested use for Melbwireless

Shane Chubb s.chubb at tronics.com.au
Fri Jan 11 08:20:48 EST 2002

Ok there seems to be a lot of heated discussions regard what can and
cant be done legally on Melbwireless.  I am staying right out of that.

I do however have an idea which may be feasible - or it may not.  People
connected to Melbwireless generally have at least one computer with a
soundcard.  They generally will have one computer running 24x7.  Would
it be possible to broadcast a radio station across the network - i.e.
streaming format.  Something that DOES NOT go to air.  Even if it was
simply music and no commentary.

Brings me to my next point.  I have in the past built a Linux box which
allows users to connect via a web site and select songs to be played on
that machine.  It works great as a jukebox and you can upload songs to
it in MP3 so if your favourite is not there - just upload it.  I could
put one of these together for the network without a problem.  With my
last machine it played directly out via the soundcard.  This would need
to be changed to some sort of streaming format and then offered again
via a url.

Just an idea.  Let me know what you all think - there may even be some
DJ's who could find a use for this.