[MLB-WIRELESS] grumpy people - get a move on

Matthew Boyd Matthew.C.Boyd at uts.edu.au
Thu Jan 10 18:51:00 EST 2002

> >Seriously, I think you need to forget the Internet access aspect
> >altogether.  That's just a whole different ball game.
>
> I have cable and there is absolutely no way I'll be acting as a
> gateway/proxy for the wireless network to get access to the net.
> I think a
> very viable network can be started with wireless stuff, and in a
> city the
> size of Melbourne in time it could grow to a size that would make
> it very
> usable.

I don't think anyone will be too willing to share cable either. Maybe
some private arrangements among individuals but not anything on a large
scale at least for the time being. I think there is a place for
mirroring some of the more used sites (eg The Age). In a city the size
of Melbourne its not going to take many people putting MP3's and
starting up a napster type group to make it attractive to a lot of
people. There are very few things on the net that I want that someone I
know doesn't already have a copy of, from the latest linux kernel to
obscure dance music, the biggest obstacle isn't finding the stuff
locally, it's getting it from the person next door who has it and
doesn't want to burn a cd for every person who wants a copy, or doesn't
have the bandwidth to make it available to everyone.

Anyway thats the gist of my 2c worth.

Matt