[MLB-WIRELESS] Galaxy Antennas

lkhoo at csc.com.au lkhoo at csc.com.au
Thu Jan 10 15:16:05 EST 2002

And how much would you be willing to do this for? ... *drum roll* :)

There was mention of someone else doing this somewhere.

Found it. On the melbwireless discussion board.
http://melbwireless.dyndns.org/bbs/viewthread.php?FID=2&TID=34

>How much would you pay for a mod'd ex-galaxy ant?
>
>I was reading through www.e3.com.au and they have a poll for how much
you'd pay for a fully modified ex-galaxy antenna? At the min, 61% of the
ppl who have >done the poll said they would pay up to $50 for one? What do
ppl on this side of the country think?

>Regards
>
>Ash

I think this is the same person that has that "how-to" for modifying the
galaxy antenna's.

Lucas

|--------+--------------------------->
|        |          "Richard Talbot" |
|        |          <richardt at frontli|
|        |          ne.com.au>       |
|        |                           |
|        |          10/01/2002 01:10 |
|        |          PM               |
|        |          Please respond to|
|        |          melbwireless     |
|        |                           |
|--------+--------------------------->
  >----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                                      |
  |       To:     <melbwireless at melbwireless.dyndns.org>                                                                 |
  |       cc:                                                                                                            |
  |       Subject:     Re: [MLB-WIRELESS] Galaxy Antennas                                                                |
  >----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

As I said in the original email, attach a short cable and N connector so
people could buy a Nic, Pigtail, premade length of LMR-400, and plug it
straight in ready to go.

    In order to modify them you need to:
        Remove the guts
        Cut the dipole off,
        Drill a larger hole on the metal piece at the bottom
        Feed through the coad and solder to the board without shorting the
shield to the core
        Re-glue the feedhorn together
        Hope that the glue you used will hold the thing together.

My feeling was that not everyone would have time, interest or skills to do
this.  A secondhand, modified Galaxy Antenna is a much beter deal than a
new
commercial job (although you get slightly less performance).  Others of us
like to build and know how to solder and terminate antenna feeds properly.
Each to his own.

Richard