[MLB-WIRELESS] Reflectors and Repeaters

Hamish Moffatt hamish at cloud.net.au
Fri Jan 4 00:01:12 EST 2002

Roger, an interesting mathematic analysis. Whilst I was at
university I should probably have learnt to derive something
similar!

On Thu, Jan 03, 2002 at 10:38:32PM +1100, Roger Venning wrote:

> No, adding the two antenna gain & subtracting connecting cable loss is
> certainly not correct. This set up is certainly feasible though. I have

I'm still at a loss as to why this is incorrect though. I need
a plain English explanation.

A typical point to point link analysis is:

Tx power (dBm)
+ Tx feedline loss (dB)
+ Tx antenna gain (dB)
+ path loss (dB)
+ Rx antenna gain (dB).

(Losses expressed as negative numbers). Why isn't the passive
repeater situation as simple as:

Tx power (dBm)
+ Tx feedline loss (dB)
+ Tx antenna gain (dB)
+ path loss between transmitter and repeater (dB)
+ repeater Rx antenna gain (dB)
+ repeater feedline loss (dB)
+ repeater Tx antenna gain (dB)
+ path loss between repeater and receiver (dB)
+ Rx antenna gain (dB)

What have I missed?

regards,
Hamish