[MLB-WIRELESS] Re: [Oz-ISP] Wireless..... ABC 7:30 report tonight. (fwd)

sanbar sandbar at ozemail.com.au
Thu Feb 28 10:23:50 EST 2002

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 14:04:20 +1100 (EST)
From: Saliya Wimalaratne <saliya at hinet.net.au>
To: John Simmons <jss at adam.genesis.net.au>
Cc: jss at genesis.net.au, aussie-isp at aussie.net
Subject: Re: [Oz-ISP] Wireless.....  ABC 7:30 report tonight.

On Wed, 27 Feb 2002, John Simmons wrote:

> is it not possible for all my potential connectees to become part
> of an organisation that is purpose built to satisfy the "Immediate
> Cirlce" ruling and thus provide them with both Internet connectivity,
> and possibly, other community type services? Where is the legal
> dividing line?  How does the law define which is OK and which is not,
> and on what basis?  This is what I still do not understand.

Hi John,

Well, as I said, all we did was ask the ACA. They're supposed to be the
ones know what this stuff means, and what options are available.

Essentially, what I believe you're talking about is 'the letter of the
law' vs. 'the spirit of the law' and I don't *really* think I'm qualified
to give an opinion on that side of things. I *do* know that the ACA can
give written exemptions for things like this (and if you had a community
project that you wanted to do, I bet they could help).

> Of course.  But they need to be answering precisely the right question
> in order for the answer to fully apply.

Q) "Can we form an organisation in order to provide members of that
organisation Wireless LAN access to the Internet so that we don't need a
carrier licence ?"

A) "No"

.. feel free to ask them again - they don't charge for answers :)

I'm not trying to be a nay-sayer; I'm trying to provide information on
what seems to be a confusing topic for many people. As always, the
definitive source is the ACA or a court of law (and frankly, getting a
carrier licence is probably cheaper than taking the case to court :P)

Regards,

Saliya

----