[MLB-WIRELESS] Re: [Oz-ISP] Wireless..... ABC 7:30 report tonight. (fwd)

sanbar sandbar at ozemail.com.au
Thu Feb 28 10:18:27 EST 2002

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 08:58:35 +1100 (EST)
From: Ross Wheeler <ross at home.albury.net.au>
To: Craig Ian Dewick <craig at lios.apana.org.au>
Cc: AUSSIE ISP <aussie-isp at aussie.net>
Subject: Re: [Oz-ISP] Wireless.....  ABC 7:30 report tonight.

On Tue, 26 Feb 2002, Craig Ian Dewick wrote:

> > It's not illegal to use 2.4GHz-spectrum (I assume you're referring to this
> > ?) for private networks.
> >
> > It's only once you start carrying third-party data that it is illegal to
> > do it without a carrier licence.
>
> Which makes it kind of useless as a way to have a private 2.4 GHz network
> used as a way to give many people access to a single Internet feed while
> avoiding Telstra costs for lines, etc. 8-)

"makes sense" != "is legal".

Quoting from the original article at http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/s491420.htm

"But wireless networks have another big advantage that
promises to shake up conventional ideas about access
to the Internet.

Any apartment building or office block might have
hundreds of computer users all paying for their own
Internet connection.

With a wireless network, there's nothing to stop 30 or
40 people sharing a single connection.

MATT BARRIE: In community situations, this is very
easy to band together and actually set up a wireless
network outside the control of the carriers."

This, in my understanding of the legislation, is COMPLETELY ILLEGAL.
(Note: being for non-commercial purposes doesn't magically let you out
of the restrictions imposed by the law)

> Lets be sensible though. If a private person (or even say one or more of
> the APANA regions) sets up a 2.4 GHz wireless network, why the heck is a
> carrier license needed to route Internet traffic to/from the wireless
> network if it's not for commercial purposes?

Because it is the *LAW* and "sense" (common or otherwise) has no part.

If APANA (who is MUCH larger than many small ISPs) is allowed to bung
microwave willy-nilly, how about small ISPs?

And if small ISPs (smaller than APANA) are allowed, how about other
medium-sized ISPs in the same area who would be otherwise disadvantaged
by unfair competition?

And if medium-sized ISPs, why not larger ones? Or their competition?

> I can well understand the carrier license requirement if the wireless
> network is used in a commercial situation to directly generate profit for
> whoever's operating it and/or using it, but otherwise no way.

Craig, I think you are wanting to interpret the legislation in your own
way for your own purposes, so suit your particular desires.

Remember, this is a LEGAL system, not a JUSTICE system. If APANA has some
special exemption, I'm sure lots of others would like to know about it,
and set themselves up in a similar way so they too, may "make merry" of
the situation. Last time I checked the ACA site, I didn't see any
exemptions granted to APANA.

Some of us who had started to deploy Microwave networks many years ago
have long since removed and discarded them, as soon as the legality was
confirmed. It cost *US* a lot of money, and lost opportunity. I know quite
a few schools and other businesses in our area who are installing and
operating ILLEGAL networks, some in ignorance, some in full knowledge but
justifying it because "telstra are too expensive" or "we're out in the
middle of nowhere, who will know?" or "it's not for profit" excuses - and
I'd just love to have a quiet word in the regulators ear....

----