[MLB-WIRELESS] Re: [Oz-ISP] Wireless..... ABC 7:30 report tonight. (fwd)

sanbar sandbar at ozemail.com.au
Thu Feb 28 10:15:30 EST 2002

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 22:52:08 +1100 (EST)
From: Craig Ian Dewick <craig at lios.apana.org.au>
Cc: AUSSIE ISP <aussie-isp at aussie.net>
Subject: Re: [Oz-ISP] Wireless.....  ABC 7:30 report tonight.

On Tue, 26 Feb 2002, Saliya Wimalaratne wrote:

> It's not illegal to use 2.4GHz-spectrum (I assume you're referring to this
> ?) for private networks.
>
> It's only once you start carrying third-party data that it is illegal to
> do it without a carrier licence.

Which makes it kind of useless as a way to have a private 2.4 GHz network
used as a way to give many people access to a single Internet feed while
avoiding Telstra costs for lines, etc. 8-)

Lets be sensible though. If a private person (or even say one or more of
the APANA regions) sets up a 2.4 GHz wireless network, why the heck is a
carrier license needed to route Internet traffic to/from the wireless
network if it's not for commercial purposes?

I can well understand the carrier license requirement if the wireless
network is used in a commercial situation to directly generate profit for
whoever's operating it and/or using it, but otherwise no way.

Regards,

Craig.

--
  Craig Ian Dewick (craig at lios.apana.org.au). http://lios.apana.org.au/~craig
  APANA Sydney Regional Co-ordinator. Operator of Jedi (an APANA Sydney POP).

----