[MLB-WIRELESS] 802.11b

Steven Haigh netwiz at optushome.com.au
Thu Feb 28 16:41:53 EST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Reid" <reid.hall at au00.com>
To: <melbwireless at wireless.org.au>
Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2002 3:42 PM
Subject: [MLB-WIRELESS] 802.11b

> Hi fellows,
>
> There has been much current debate generated on the OZ-ISP list due to the
> 7:30 report story.
>
> Yes, it is illegal to deploy 802.11 gear and as an ISP, pump data through
it
> to customers, *without a carriers license*.

not quite... non-profit use seems to be excempt from the carriers license
requirement...

> Also, your nodes are illegal. Once you actually start carrying data
between
> points without a carriers license, you are breaking the communications act
of
> 1997.

not quite... All nodes are members of Melbourne: Digital and Wireless. All
traffic carried by the
nodes is internal traffic within the M:D&W WAN.

> The law, as it stands is clear on this matter.

beg to differ ;)

> What we need is some serious lobbying.  I've started by contacting the
Shadow
> minister for communications, and the Minister for communications, and
laying
> out the position of an ISP.
>
> What would be great, is for consumers to follow up on this and do the same
> thing.
>
> Many voices in unison, hammering the point that a carriers licence is
> overkill to deploy this simple technology.
>
> As an ISP, I can't risk my entire network by deploying to 802.11b with the
> law as it stands.  Civil disobedience is not an option.

Because you are trying to commercially gain from the deployment. We are not.

> Also, as a small ISP, I can't afford to buy a carriers licence, nor as
> network administrator, do I consider a carriers licence necessary in this
> situation.

While not 100% sure on the ISP laws, as I understand it, if you carry 3rd
party traffic,
then you require a carrier license - what makes ISPs exempt from this?

> Start faxing, calling and emailing your local, state, and federal members
> NOW.  We can change the law if enough of us speak up.
>
> And to the Melbourne mob, the Shadow minister for communications email
> address is Lindsay.Tanner.MP at aph.gov.au
>
> Get going gang.
>
> Regards
>
> Reid.

Signed,
Steven Haigh

The Internet was designed by the American Military back in the late 60's. It
was designed to be a decentralised information delivery system so that in
the event of a nuclear attack, American Military leaders would still have
access to pornography.