[MLB-WIRELESS] 802.11b

Reid reid.hall at au00.com
Thu Feb 28 15:42:24 EST 2002

Hi fellows,

There has been much current debate generated on the OZ-ISP list due to the
7:30 report story.

Yes, it is illegal to deploy 802.11 gear and as an ISP, pump data through it
to customers, *without a carriers license*.

Also, your nodes are illegal. Once you actually start carrying data between
points without a carriers license, you are breaking the communications act of
1997.

The law, as it stands is clear on this matter.

What we need is some serious lobbying.  I've started by contacting the Shadow
minister for communications, and the Minister for communications, and laying
out the position of an ISP.

What would be great, is for consumers to follow up on this and do the same
thing.

Many voices in unison, hammering the point that a carriers licence is
overkill to deploy this simple technology.

As an ISP, I can't risk my entire network by deploying to 802.11b with the
law as it stands.  Civil disobedience is not an option.

Also, as a small ISP, I can't afford to buy a carriers licence, nor as
network administrator, do I consider a carriers licence necessary in this
situation.

Start faxing, calling and emailing your local, state, and federal members
NOW.  We can change the law if enough of us speak up.

And to the Melbourne mob, the Shadow minister for communications email
address is Lindsay.Tanner.MP at aph.gov.au

Get going gang.

Regards

Reid.