[MLB-WIRELESS] kerrazy antenna question

Julian Featherston feather at bigpond.net.au
Tue Feb 19 04:24:39 EST 2002

My understanding is that moving the feed point (or feed antenna) in and
out will just result in less gain.

But moving the feed point a little to the side will bend the beam in the
opposite direction, with little loss of signal.
If the feeds are small enough so as to not block much signal one can
have multiple divergent beams emanating from one dish. These guys
suggest 15º off boresight is possible, somebody else suggested 12º
http://global-cm.net/antennas/multifeed.html

The CSIRO have just started marketing an antenna that doesn't focus to a
point, but to a surface. This allows up to 19 divergent beams from one
antenna!!! But you must have 19 targets in within roughly 38º
They designed it a long time ago, but say they had to wait until there
was sufficient density of satellites.
http://www.tip.csiro.au/ICT/SpaceSatellite/Multibeam1.htm and they are
talking about cheap wireless data too
http://www.tip.csiro.au/ICT/Broadband/index.htm