[MLB-WIRELESS] LRP

Joris joris at linux.be
Sat Feb 16 19:18:46 EST 2002

On Sat, Feb 16, 2002 at 09:30:05AM +1100, Matthew Boyd wrote:
> > Definitely.
> > However, you need to keep in mind that "enough" has a very stretchable
> > meaning. A simple router, just network drivers, fullblown tcpip
> > functionality and a complicated routing table meight not be very
> > happy with
> > just 16mb anymore; things _will_ get nasty once you run OOM (wich is,
> > without a swap functionality, pretty soon) so play safe!
>
> I was thinking more along the lines of an oldish pentium with 128..ish
> meg of ram. Not too hard to find those atm. First thing I thought of
> running was apache with some basic info on the AP, *maybe* something
> simplish like an irc server as well to let local people talk to each
> other (until the network gets linked up enough to run one or two irc
> servers for melb. I won't ask "what is OOM" I'll just do some research.
OOM -> Out Of Memory :)
In recent kernels, an OOM-killer was installed, wich tries to choose an
appropriate process to kill, to free up memory (you can still revert this to
the alternative by applying patches). This meight result in, fi, an apache
killed without appearant reason (when you come to the machine to check, you
find plenty of memory, just no apache running)

128mb should work out very fine for such simple things :)
joris at et:~$ free -m
Mem:           124        118          5          0         20         48
-/+ buffers/cache:         49         75
This is with some simple routing, apache, ircd, idle mysqld, two eggdrop
bots and apache-ssl running. As you see, this machine could easyly pull the
job, under a minimal load, with 64mb ram

Oh, and don't demigrate old pentiums, my main router/fileserver is a p200
(yes, with 128mb ram, and half a gig of swapspace ;)

--
  Greetings
  Joris