[MLB-WIRELESS] Networking the Nation?

Andrew Tiltman andrew at mediadome.net.au
Thu Feb 14 23:07:44 EST 2002

<snip>

What is Networking the Nation?

Networking the Nation is a Commonwealth grants program providing over
$400 million in funding to not-for-profit organisations to support
activities and projects designed to address a range of telecommunications
needs in regional, rural and remote Australia.

Networking the Nation is part of the Commonwealth Government's strategy to
ensure that the benefits of new and existing telecommunications facilities
and services can be accessed and enjoyed by all Australians.

What is the objective of Networking the Nation?

The objective of Networking the Nation is to assist the economic and social
development of regional, rural and remote Australia by funding projects
which:

  a.. enhance telecommunications infrastructure and services in regional,
rural and remote areas;
  b.. increase access to, and promote use of, services available through
telecommunications networks in regional, rural and remote areas; or
  c.. reduce disparities in access to such services and facilities between
Australians in regional, rural or remote areas and those in urban areas.
Innovation and Best Practice Models

In all regions the Board will give consideration to proposals to develop
innovative products and/or services that offer the potential for significant
improvements in price and/or service quality, and could be more widely
adopted in other regions and parts of Australia.

</snip>

<snip>

Planning proposals should satisfy the following general framework:

  a.. priority will be given to projects designed to lead to specific
outcomes (eg: identifying future projects, concrete information to use in
negotiations with carriers, specific benefits to the community or similar);
  b.. generally, a matching cash contribution from applicants will be sought
(except in cases where it is evident the community is lacking in financial
and other resources); and
  c.. one or more of the following conditions should be satisfied:

    - the applicant can demonstrate that there have been no relevant
planning studies previously undertaken in the region and the prospects of
funding future high quality Networking the Nation applications for the
region would be jeopardised if the planning process was not undertaken soon;
and/or
    - the proposal forms part of a coordinated State or Territory Government
strategic framework; and/or
    - the applicant can demonstrate that they are proposing a methodology to
undertake the planning project which appears to have demonstration benefits.
</snip>

My only concern is:

[...]

Looks like we really need some sort of financial backing before approaching
them as melbourne doesnt really qualify as community lacking in the money
dept, perhaps looking at sponsorship from companys wanting involvement is
the only way to go as long as it doesnt compromise the plan of this being
FREE to all (excluding hardware).

But otherwise I'd say we would definately have a chance at getting a piece
of the pie, since an established, public based, FREE wireless intranet is
something thats yet to be implemented in Melbourne and surrounding suburbs.

It may still be worth a try... whats the worst that could happen? They tell
us to get some money together first and we all go raid our piggy banks then
try again the next round? Either way it doesnt leave much time to sort out
an application and proposal unless you skip this upcomming meeting, but who
knows when the next will happen? :)

-Andrew