[MLB-WIRELESS] IP address range for Geelong?

Simon J Mudd sjmudd at pobox.com
Wed Feb 13 18:44:03 EST 2002

vk3jed at optushome.com.au ("Tony Langdon, VK3JED") writes:

> At 02:16 PM 12/02/2002 +0100, you wrote:
>
> >You're not there yet in Melbourne, we're not there yet in Spain, nor
> >are the guys in Seattle, France or the UK.  However the real Internet
> >does allow the links to be put in place, even if the relative
> >bandwidth over these links is quite low.  And for some of us it would
> >be a nice goal to attain.
>
> This idea is not silly, and in fact there was an article in today's
> Age (newspaper) about a variant of this idea (yes guys, my article
> again).  In that example, it was the use of the Internet as a voice
> "wormhole" between distant radio systems, but radio amateurs have been
> using "wormhole" techniques for over 10 years on the packet radio
> network.

Been there and done some of this too, though not recently. It's
strange how the radio hams in the world are switching over to 802.11
wireless partly due to the limitations placed on us and lack of
hardware when using the ham bands.

[snip]

> >I have a sister in Manly so when the Australian network is up and
> >running it would be nice to link up to her portable on the beach from
> >my portable in a park using a "couple" of non-wireless links on the
> >way.  That's a vision, and it may not be achievable, but it's a nice
> >goal to aim for...
>
> Well, it will happen one day.

I think so too, let's hope that everyone can see the big picture.

73 Simon, EA4ELS, G0FNB
--
Simon J Mudd,   Tel: +34-91-408 4878,  Mobile: +34-605-085 219
Madrid, Spain.  email: sjmudd at pobox.com,  Postfix RPM Packager