[MLB-WIRELESS] Lonely North Carlton house seeks connection with like minded residence(s) (no wires please)

Mark Dorset mark.dorset at sun.com
Wed Feb 13 14:55:45 EST 2002

Hi,

I'm pretty much financially ready to go and get my wireless solution set up.
I've been in touch with an experienced cabling contractor I know who is able to
do wireless antenna installations and testing - this is good for me, since I'm
afraid of heights :-). He may well be joining the list actually, he seemed
quite interested in the project when I told him about it. However, before
installation is done, I'd like to try and get some more advice on the best
equipment to use.

I have a linux based NAT gateway machine with a spare pcmcia slot ready to go,
so I was thinking that maybe I should get an antenna to allow others to connect
to/via me, by using the system as a linux-based AP. I guess it depends on the
price differences, and whether there's much difference in antenna design that
would restrict one type from being hoisted on a pole compared to others. If
unidirectional is the only way to go for the moment, then so be it, but I feel
a little selfish being a leaf if I can be a branch on the network instead.

Is there anyone around north carlton that is willing to lend a hand with
antenna advice? On one hand my house is two stories, but on the other there's
some tall trees and a tall building or two around as well, so I think the
antenna might need some additional support to get it high enough (depending on
which direction it needs to point to).

Thanks in advance for any assistance. If I've not mentioned something crucial,
please let me know... Oh, speaking of which, I am on the node database, my ID
is DCH.

regards,
Mark