Re: [MLB-WIRELESS] ip allocation list based on suburb

Blake A. Robertson blake at freeweb.com.au
Wed Feb 13 12:04:29 EST 2002

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking here for a couple of weeks and figured it was high time I
got off my backend and started contributing... so...

Re: the IP & suburb idea - I like it, but there's too many suburbs, as
noted [repeatedly :)] elsewhere.

If we use local councils however it is an entirely different situation.
Victoria has 78 councils, so that will fit very nicely in 255. [For
specific info, with names and populations for each council, see the
attached .csv]

Also, whilst I'm no expert on IP or DNS, I agree with those pushing the
view that we should seriously consider the long term implications of these
decisions; I see no reason why, in 5 years from now, community networks
couldn't be literally everywhere - and have community internet access. We
should ensure we can talk to the "real" net - on its terms and with as
mininal a number of technical hoops to navigate, because if we don't we
could wind up with a complete pigsty of a "bridging" system b/n networks.

Finally [for now! I'm like Pringles... once I start, I can't stop :)] the
legality issue - my understanding is that the regs re: carrier licence,
etc, apply to profit-making entities. Non profit groups are excluded.
Having said that IANAL - > But I have a mate who is a Dr of law, and a QC,
so I'll see if I can impose on him. I guess the first thing to check is to
see if there are any precendents already.

Just thought of something... what happened to the IP range One.Tel had?
Would the administrator get control of them, or would they go back to
APNIC? If the administrator has them, and One.Tel is still in
administration [? Don't know??], might they be available? Given that
One.Tel is worthless, might we be able to take over the admin of them?

Anyway, my 2 cents.

Cheers,
Blake Robertson.

>>When I first saw this I thought, yeah, that's a cool idea... have
>>10.1.xx for
> melb, 10.2.x.x for richmond, etc, etc. then I went to
> http://www.street-directory.com.au/map_australia.cgi?
file=street/australiasearch.htm